I need help

Elder abuse thrives in secrecy. If you have concerns about how you are being treated, speak out.

If you are in danger call 111. Ask for the Police.

Call 0800 32 668 65

It's common to experience more than one type of abuse:

  • Psychological abuse includes threats, humiliation or harassment. This creates distress, shame, or stress and often creates a sense of powerlessness. Psychological abuse is often a factor in other forms of abuse.
  • Financial abuse ranges from illegal use of your money or assets to being forced to change your will or sign documents.
  • Physical abuse includes any personal harm or injury.
  • Sexual abuse includes any non-consensual sexual activity.

If you feel scared, frightened or at risk, things are already serious. Call 0800 32 668 65 (0800 EA NOT OK).

A text, and email service is now available.

Text: 5032

Email: support@elderabuse.nz

You have a right to feel safe

It is common to have mixed feelings about speaking up. Particularly when your abuser is someone you know and trust - a family member, friend or neighbour. Abusers are often someone that you depend on for support, or for care.

You have the right to feel safe. The Elder Abuse helpline will help you work through these issues and put you in touch with support services near where you live. This service is free, and completely confidential.

It is available all day, every day. Call 0800 32 668 65 (0800 EA NOT OK). Text 5032 or email support@elderabuse.nz

Who provides elder abuse support?

The Ministry of Social Development funds elder abuse response services throughout New Zealand. These assist older people, their families and their carers.

When you call the helpline, you’ll be put in touch with a coordinator who works in your region.

The coordinator usually has a background in nursing or social work. Their main job is to find support for people experiencing abuse. They will:

  • Ask for consent to assess your situation
  • Work with you to make sure you are safe and help you manage the risk of abuse or neglect
  • Identify and work with other organisations who support you (such as the police, health providers, lawyers, banks and government agencies).

Elder abuse response service providers

For a list of Elder Abuse Service Providers and other services available throughout New Zealand, see the Family Services Directory.