What we're looking for is: "A society where people can age positively, where older people are highly valued and recognised as an integral part of families and communities."
Ageing is a life-long process – and we all want to live in a society where everyone can be valued and respected as they age. The New Zealand Positive Ageing strategy was developed after talking to communities about what ageing well means to them.
The strategy continues to provide guidance to government on supporting and valuing older New Zealanders, both now and into the future.
The strategy promotes:
- How important being fit and healthy can be to people as they get older
- That older people have a huge amount of skills, knowledge and experience that should be valued
- That everyone has an interest in making sure that older people can be important participants in society
A writer's tale
Pasifika writer, poet and painter Albert Wendt, ONZ CNZM, has long called Auckland his home.
He may have stepped away from teaching students at the University of Auckland but he is continuing to work.
He has recently released the novel ‘Breaking Connections’ and an autobiography of his early years, ‘Out of the Vaipe, the Deadwater’.
There were very few books available in his early years growing up in a small village in Samoa.
The strong oral culture, however, shaped his work and language, and he plans to keep writing and painting for as long as possible.
After a lifetime of working hard, Douglas Hornigold, 82, retired just two years ago and soon found himself sitting at home bored.
A friend suggested he join the Henley men's shed in Masterton where he found a group of like-minded people busy working on their own and community projects, including building play equipment for local kindergartens.
Douglas says there is always somebody to lend a helping hand and he loves the company.
Keeping up to date
There will always be things that can be done better and we would like your thoughts and ideas. To keep up to date and contribute to our Positive Ageing work you can:
- Sign up to our SuperSeniors newsletter – it has news around positive ageing and will also help you make the most of your SuperGold Card.
- Follow us on Facebook – we share interesting and inspiring stories about positive ageing from New Zealand and around the World. You can like our page and join the discussion.
- Send us your feedback on the Positive Ageing Strategy Goals. If you would like to have your say we have a few questions around each goal you might like to think about.
Or you might like to read some of our:
Check out the report on making active ageing a reality.