Being able to live in a society where people of all ages are valued and able to participate fully are driving moves to create age-friendly communities in New Zealand.
This is being done in some areas through an age-friendly programme supported by the Office for Seniors.
The following background is for people who want to be involved in a local initiative.
There are two parts:
1. STARTING OUT
- What age-friendly is
- The process to become age-friendly
- How age-friendly projects work
Find out about initiatives in your region:
You will see there are a range of roles and you have a choice of how you can be involved:
- There may be something you have experience in, an area you’re interested in, or a skill you want to learn
- You may want to participate in discussions, help with a project or share information about age-friendly
- You may have a lot of time to give or a little
Being part of your age-friendly community is a great way to make sure your community is strong, connected and resilient. However you’re involved, it will make a difference.
An age and dementia-friendly forum was held in Wellington, hosted by the Office for Seniors, Alzheimers NZ, and Bupa.
There were the following presentations: